Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Update March 16-March 27

Good evening,

I hope this post finds you and your family well.  I've been getting a lot of questions.  I'm sorry to say that I know very little.  I have the same information that you get when you log onto the district website and go through the FAQs. This situation is unprecedented and changes on a daily basis.  I'm sorry if you emailed and I have not responded.  I have been trying to regroup and figure things out before reaching out.

Some of you have asked about work for your students over the course of the two week closure.  I cannot really make any new assignments or move forward with projects that I had planned prior to all of this because we are technically closed.  Students without access to the internet/devices would not be able to complete the new assignments. I do, however, have some recommendations for how your student can spend some of his/her time during the closure:
  • Your student may continue working through the Study Island topics from the 3rd marking period.  Now is a great time to redo some of them to boost grades.  In lieu of grade change forms, you can email me updated scores and/or just fill out grade change forms when we get back to school.  I'm also going to go ahead and add the rest of the Study Island topics.  We are actually almost done.  If your student wants to finish now, I would not have a problem with that.  If they do not do the new topics, that's okay as well.  I will be officially assigning them when we get back to school.
  • As far as the the March Madness project, I urge students to finish their books and complete the project if at all possible.  Before the closure, I set the due date as March 23rd.  All students were aware of that date.  What I am going to do is make it due 5 school days after we reopen.  That would be equivalent to where we were at before school closed.  March Madness Assignment
  • The Nobel Speech essay was due on Monday, March 16th.  Most students handed it in last week.  I will expect any student that has not turned it in to hand it in when we get back into the classroom.
  • If students did not bring their book home, they can access the textbook by going to www.pearsonrealize.com.  The username is ns followed by their lunch number (ex. ns1234).  The password is abc123. 
  • As a parent, I'm concerned about my daughter being out of the classroom for an extended period of time.  I have been seeking learning opportunities for her.  In my search, I noticed that most of these resources are geared toward elementary children.  If you are seeking an OPTIONAL learning opportunity for your child, access the online textbook.  Click on the white interactive book.  From there, click "open in new window."  In each unit, there is an individual component.  There are numerous selections to choose from.  You can have your student choose a selection(s) and read/annotate it.  Pearson allows students to highlight/annotate digitally.  After reading, they can work through the comprehension, analysis, vocabulary, and conventions exercises.  Students can type responses right into the boxes.  Once again, this is an OPTIONAL learning opportunity.
  • As far as the cereal project, we will handle that when we get back.  Because of social distancing, I cannot have students working in groups. 
  • I did post a digital copy of The Outsiders on my blog.  That was for when I believed that we would be in school this week.  Your student should not read it yet.
One more thing that I am going to do is start posting recordings of myself reading the book Hoot on my homework blog. The first recording will go live tomorrow.  Hoot is a lighthearted read, which I'm sure our students could use right now.  I will enable comments on the post so that students can "discuss" the book.  This is completely OPTIONAL.  Students do not have to read this book.  It is not a grade now nor will it ever be.  If you are looking for something educational for your student to do, then check it out.  If not, that is fine.  This is NOT GRADED.  It is OPTIONAL.

If you have any additional questions/concerns after reading this, please let me know.  I will do my best to provide you with answers.  Tell your student that I am thinking of him/her.

Mrs. Fowler

No comments:

Post a Comment