Monday, March 30, 2020

Continuity of Education Update

Good evening,

At this point some of you have received a call from your student's homeroom teacher to explain how we are moving forward with education during the school shut down.  If you have not yet received a call, you will get one tomorrow. 

This week we will begin work with either Google Classroom or paper packets.  Educational materials are based on individual needs such as access to internet, etc. The material presented via Google Classroom or paper packet will be review and enrichment.  This means that we are practicing skills/ reviewing topics that students encountered at some point this year.  It is recommended that students in grades 7-12 spend approximately 60 minutes per subject area each week.

Assignments will go live online on a weekly basis every Friday with the exception of this week.  We will begin using Google Classroom on Wednesday, April 1st.  Paper packet pick up will occur every 2 weeks starting this Friday.  You can pick up paper packets at the elementary school on Friday from 4:00-6:00 or on Monday from 9:00-11:00. 

My Google Classroom is set up and ready to go.  I have already sent your student an invitation.  Your student's login is their lunch number @gapps.northschuylkill.net (ex. 1234@gapps.northschuylkill.net).  I do not know their passwords.  They should have them. If they cannot figure it out, let me know and I will send a helpdesk ticket to our IT department. 

To access Google Classroom for the first time:

Sign in for the first time

  1. Go to classroom.google.com and click Go to Classroom. Click Go to Classroom
  2. Enter your username and click Next. Click Next
  3. Enter your password and click Next. Click Next
  4. If there is a welcome message, read it and click Accept. Click Accept
  5. If you're using a G Suite for Education account, click I’m A Student or I’m A Teacher.
    Note: Users with personal Google Accounts won’t see this option. Pick your role
  6. Click Get Started.
    Click Get Started

Ready to start using Classroom?  An invitation to join my classroom will be there.  If for some reason you do not see my invitation, use the following codes:

Periods 1/2: fhgzskz
Periods 4/5: 62wssjp
Periods 6/7: uoabhzn


Once your student is in my class, you will see a message stream.  The first message is about Newsela.  Click on the box that says "Newsela l Join A Class!."  Once that step is complete, your student will be ready and able to complete his/her first assignment.  They can either click "Classwork" at the top of the page to access the assignment or scroll down the message stream.  The assignment is called Baby Yoda.

Please note that the assignment asks students to highlight certain things, etc.  Even though they are doing it digitally on Newsela, I can still see what they are highlighting, their answers, etc. so I know if they are actually doing it and if they are doing it correctly.

I will be holding office hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00-3:00 using Google Meet.  Office hours start on Thursday, April 2nd.  If your student has any questions, they can meet me there.  I will be running a live video stream.  I posted a link for students to access the office hours in my Google Classroom.  Parents can meet with me during this time as well.  To access my office hours paste this link (https://meet.google.com/jmf-pnro-drv) into your internet browser on Thursday between 1:00-3:00.

If you are working with the paper copy, I will have a copy of the assignment with answer key ready for distribution at the elementary school on Friday from 4:00-6:00 or on Monday from 9:00-11:00.

I know this is a lot of information all at once.  I promise to be flexible throughout the closure, and I ask that you are as well.  This is just as new for me as it is for you and your student so there might be some bumps.  I ask that you be patient as we all get used to this new way of doing things.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thank you,
Mrs. Fowler